Gary Barnhart of GL Barnhart Construction presented “Elements of Historic & Modern Masonry on Capitol Hill” on Wednesday, April 19, 2017. Various types of masonry construction are found throughout our Capitol Hill homes and buildings. Some aspects of the structural building framework are original and literally part of the buildings foundations, other aspects have been added over the years. In some cases the elements that have been added over the years are hard to distinguish from the original construct, in other instances more modern elements stand out like a sore thumb.
In this discussion Gary talked about the differences between the various elements of masonry construction in our Capitol Hill historic buildings in terms of longevity and methods of maintenance to keep them in good working order.
- Modern foundations versus historic foundations.
- Site paving and changes over the years.
- Historic brick versus modern brick and maintenance and care.
- Architectural details and historical significance.
- Masonry openings, details and structural reinforcement and implications.
- Joints, connection between dissimilar materials, and best practices.
The venue is handicapped accessible and the public is encouraged to attend.
The Preservation Café series is a free forum with topics of interest to the greater Capitol Hill community.
Gary Barnhart 202-569-0707 firstname.lastname@example.org www.glbarnhart.com