Significant Impacts July 31 – Mid-October
Construction work along H Street/Benning Road to ready the corridor for DC Streetcar continues. Stage 2 of the Western Turnaround work is set to begin on Wednesday, July 31 and continue through mid-October. The Western Turnaround refers to the extension of the streetcar tracks from 3rd Street NE to the top of the Hopscotch Bridge. Elements include construction of a streetcar platform where passengers may board or leave the streetcars with access to Union Station and tracks to allow the streetcar to reverse course and proceed eastbound through the corridor.
Most noticeable for motorists traveling in this area will be a shift from using the north side to using the south side of H Street.
Traffic and parking restrictions and changes are as follows:
- At 4th Street, westbound H Street traffic will be shifted to a single lane on the north side. During Stage 1, westbound traffic used a middle lane from 4th Street to the top of Hopscotch Bridge.
- On Hopscotch Bridge, eastbound H Street traffic will be shifted to a single lane in the middle of the roadway to 4th Street. During Stage 1, eastbound traffic used the south curb lane to 4th Street.
- No-Parking restrictions in the 300 and 400 blocks of H Street will continue, just as in Stage 1.
- No-Turn restrictions at 3rd Street will remain in effect for vehicular traffic.
- The 3rd Street crosswalk on the north side of H Street will be open to pedestrian traffic.
- Pedestrian detour signs will be installed for the 3rd Street crosswalk on the south side of H Street and both crosswalks crossing H Street at 3rd Street. Vehicular and pedestrian restrictions at 3rd Street will remain in effect until mid-October.
- The X1/X2 Metrobus stop on the south side of H Street will be temporarily relocated to the mid-500 block, from its current temporary location near 4th Street. Its original location was just west of 3rd Street.
- The X1/X2 Metrobus stop on the north side of H Street will remain at its current temporary location just east of 4th Street for the duration of Stage 2.
- The southbound D8 Metrobus route to Union Station will be rerouted along K Street to North Capitol Street, bypassing the regular stops at 4th & K Streets, 4th & H Streets, and 3rd & H Streets. There will be no change in the northbound D8 route to Washington Hospital Center.
Advance warning signs will be posted. The schedule is subject to change due to weather, material and equipment availability and other unforeseen conditions.
Thank you for your patience. We encourage you to contact us at any time to share concerns or request more information. Please direct inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. For DC Streetcar details, please go to dcstreetcar.com. This notice is also posted online.