Public meetings presenting Capitol Hill history “beyond the boundaries” and the potential of expanding the Capitol Hill Historic District.
History beyond the boundaries
CHRS has sponsored an architectural historian’s study (context statement) of the history of Capitol Hill beyond the boundaries of the Capitol Hill Historic District, including:
- early geography and land conditions
- early landowners, the federal period
- the Civil War
- Shepherd’s Board of Public Works
- impediments to development and their solution,
- the World Wars and afterwards
Should the Capitol Hill Historic District be expanded? Should a new historic district be created?
Many people have asked about this. The historians have studied the question and will present their findings.
CHRS is sponsoring public outreach meetings to present this history and findings for each ANC area [plus a special meeting for the Rosedale Community, if desired]. A representative of the District’s Historic Preservation Office (HPO) will attend to answer questions about historic districts. HPO has provided this information in advance of the meeting: FAQs from HPO.
CHRS will not be applying for any historic district extensions or new historic districts. We will provide assistance in the application process, but only if requested on behalf of a neighborhood that demonstrates a solid base of support in a very open and transparent process. Our role is to provide the information, facilitate the dialog, and assist when asked. That said, CHRS strongly believes in historic districts as both a way to honor and preserve neighborhood history and also as a tool for shaping the future development of one’s neighborhood.
Meetings in the series:
- ANC 6A area: Wednesday, November 5, 6:45 – 8:30 pm, Maury Elementary School, 13th and Constitution Ave NE
- ANC 6B area: Monday, November 17,6:45 – 8:30 pm, HillCenter, 921 Pennsylvania Ave, SE
- ANC 6C area: Tuesday, November 18, 7 – 9 pm, Northeast Library, 330 7th Street, NE
All meetings are free and open to the public. RSVP not required.
Contact information: email@example.com or 202.543.0425